Restoring Your Home After a Disaster

How to Minimize the Chance of a Mold Problem After a Flood Saturates Your Basement

If you live near a body of water, and your basement becomes filled because of a flood, you will want to take fast action in removing moisture to reduce damage to your home. One problem many homeowners deal with after flooding is the growth of black mold within the confines of their house. This can lead to respiratory problems if it is not eliminated in its entirety.

There are several steps you can take in an attempt to minimize the chance of mold growth after a flood situation.

Call a Restoration Service for Help

A water damage specialist will come to the home to remove all moisture from your basement as quickly as possible. The faster the moisture is removed, the less chance permanent damage will be sustained to the structure.

Water restoration services also do drying procedures as well as mold remediation. They will have powerful drying equipment to remove moisture from the area and will use commercial-grade mold killing products to help keep growth of spores from occurring.

Dry the Area as Soon as Water Is Removed

If your flood remediation service merely removes water, you will need to work at drying the basement on your own so mold is less likely to grow. Use oscillating fans and point them at the walls and floor to help dry these spots fast. Any spot that was saturated with water will need to be dried, making it necessary to remove carpeting from the basement if it was present. This will need to be sent to a professional carpet cleaning service so mold spores that got embedded within the fibers of the carpet can be removed effectively.

Wood paneling and drywall will also need to be removed if water had touched it. The insulation should be pulled out from the interior walls in these area and fans should be directed inside the hollowed area to help in drying it completely before replacing building materials.

Clean All Surfaces with Bleach to Kill Spores

All spots were water was present will also need to be cleaned after they are dried. This will cause them to become moist again, meaning the fans will need to remain in place so you can dry affected spots once again. Use bleach diluted in water to do your cleaning process. This will kill black mold causing spores immediately.

After you cleanse all portions of your basement with bleach, remove any excess using a spray bottle of water and a clean piece of microfiber cloth. Direct your fans toward these areas and consider using a dehumidifying unit in the basement to help grab moisture from the air.

To learn more, contact water mitigation services.