If you have had an accidental fire in your home, then you are likely devastated by the damage. You also probably want to get back into your home as quickly as possible. Fire damage restoration contractors can help you with the clean up and the rebuilding of your home. Restoration professionals cannot enter your house immediately after a fire though, due to safety concerns and other issues. There are many things that you need to do as a homeowner before the professionals can start the cleaning process. Keep reading to learn what two of these things are, so you can start living in your house again.
Make Sure Electricity is Shut Off
When a fire occurs in the home, firefighters respond to the incident and put out the fire as quickly as they can. When the professionals are on the scene, they will often make sure that utilities are shut off properly so that water damage and new fires are prevented. Electricity may be shut off at the main breaker. However, main and secondary breakers can both become damaged during a fire. Arcing will then occur when heat overloads the circuits and the components will often melt. The breakers no longer function at this point. This may mean that electrical current can still flow from the main line to the electrical wires in the home.
Insulation on electrical wires may also have melted away during the fire and this may allow current to flow outside of the damaged wiring. These issues along with the water within the home can cause an electrocution concern for fire restoration workers.
Contact the Electric Company
The best way to avoid electrical issues is to contact your electric company so the main electrical line can be pulled from your home. The connections from the electrical wires that run to your circuit box are located inside your electric meter. An electrician will be dispatched to your home and the small security tag will be released from the box. The electric meter will then be pulled outward to remove the sockets that connect the electricity.
Removing your home from the electrical grid is not a difficult task, but it can be dangerous. Do not attempt to do it yourself. Not only can you electrocute yourself, but it may actually be illegal to tamper with the electrical meter.
Firefighters often use several thousand gallons of water to extinguish a fire in an average sized home. A great deal of this water is often left within the building once the fire has been properly dealt with. Most fire restoration experts know this and they will spend several days removing the water before any cleaning or restoration can be completed. Water removal is extremely important, because it reduces damage that may occur due to the presence of mold and mildew. The fungi growth can greatly increase the scope of the repairs that are needed.
If restoration workers are scheduled to start work on your home, then make sure to start removing water before the professionals arrive.
Pumping Standing Fluids
If there are several inches or a few feet of water in your home, then you will need to use a submersible pump to remove the water. A utility pump is a good choice if the water is clean inside your home. If the water is dirty, then purchase a trash pump that can handle dirt and debris. You also will need a long garden hose and a small gas powered generator.
Place your generator outside your home and connect the pump to the device with an extension cord. Attach the hose to the outlet on the pump and feed it through a window or door so water flows outside your house. Submerge the pump in the standing water and turn it on. It may take a day or more to remove the majority of the water. Once the standing water is removed, open the windows in your home to make sure that excess moisture can evaporate.
If you have had a fire in your house, then restoration may be needed. Restoration workers from places like Central Flood Management Inc cannot start working right away, but they can get in your home quickly if you turn off the electricity and remove standing water in the residence.